HB2259-Inactive Well Compliance Summary
- Review the wells on your inactive well listing (included with your P-5 renewal packet, or obtained through the online IWAR query), including the shut-in date.
- Complete all required surface cleanup/removal:
- Disconnect the electricity to any inactive well. All wells appearing on your inactive well listing have been inactive at least 12 months.
- Purge all fluids from tanks, pipes and vessels for wells shut-in at least 5 years but less than 10 as of your next P-5 renewal date. (Wells shut-in 10 years or more must be brought into compliance by removal of the surface equipment. See “c” and “d” below.)
Example: If your current P-5 expires on April 30 and you are filing your P-5 renewal for the year beginning May 1, 2011, then you would need to include all wells with a shutin date between June 2001 and May 2006.
- Remove all surface equipment from wells shut-in more than ten years where the well completed its 10th year of inactivity after September 1, 2010. (Note: wells that reached their 10th year of inactivity prior to 9/1/10 have shut-in dates of January 1998 through September 2000. Compliance with the surface equipment removal requirements on those wells is phased in over a five-year period. See “d” below.)
Example: If your current P-5 expires on April 30, and you are filing your P-5 renewal for the year beginning May 1, 2011, then you need to include all wells with a shutin date between October 2000 and May 2001.)
- For wells that became 10-years inactive prior to September 1, 2010, confirm that you have brought enough of those wells into compliance under the 5-year phase in period. At least 20 percent must be compliant as of your first P-5 renewal on or after September 1, 2011; at least 40 percent as of your first P-5 renewal on or after September 1, 2012; and so on. (The phase-in period applies to surface equipment removal only; the requirement to disconnect electricity is not phased in.)
Complete and file Form W-3C, Certification of Surface Equipment Removal for an Inactive Well with your P-5 certifying compliance with the equipment removal requirements for each well or group of wells or any applicable exemption. See Form W-3C Instructions for further information.
- Inactive Well Extensions:
- Correct any violations of Commission rules or requirements for which plugging extensions have been denied.
- Choose a blanket option or individual well option(s) for obtaining a plugging extension on all inactive wells.
- Complete any requirements associated with the selected plugging extension.
Last Updated: 3/10/2016 3:26:13 PM