House Bill 2259 (HB 2259)
Last Update: 03/14/2013
In 2009, The 81st Texas Legislature enacted House Bill 2259 (HB 2259), establishing new requirements for oil and gas operators related to surface equipment removal, as well as additional requirements for the approval of plugging extensions for inactive wells. These changes will affect all operators who have inactive wells in their inventory.
The Commission has created this page as a central point for information and data resources as these changes are implemented.
- Inactive Well Aging Report (IWAR)
- 10-year inactive wells as of 9/1/2010
(five year phase-in population)
- Cost Calculation information
- Application for an Extension of Deadline for Plugging and Inactive Well (Form W-3X)
- Certification of Surface Equipment Removal for an Inactive Well (Form W-3C)
- Guidance: HB 2259 Compliance for P-5 renewal Purposes
- HB 2259 Executive Summary
Beginning in 2012, the Commission's enforcement of inactive well requirements adopted in the 2009 and 2011 legislative sessions is also resulting in the issuance of final orders prohibiting renewal of P-5s under these provisions until the operator has brought their wells into compliance. A 2259 Enforcement Status page with information about the implementation process (including a listing of operators barred from renewal due to noncompliance with inactive well requirements) is available on our website.